Welcome to the JediMUD Wiki
- Adding to JediMUD's ever-expanding footprint on the web, we've created this wiki to help new and returning players alike. We hope that those veteran players with an intimate understanding of the game will continue to pass on their expertise to the next generation of text role-playing gamers.
- Will JediMUD be around in another 25 years? It's a long shot, as platform, handheld and mobile applications have all but killed the text-based RPG. The text-based RPG lives on, though, and there are hundreds of MUD variants to choose from across the web today, from MOOs and MUSHes, to Dikus, Circles and LPMUDs.
- It all started back in the late sixties with a little game written by a spelunking-pair of computer scientists, "ADVENTURE" or The Colossal Cave. JediMUD continues that tradition today, as we are still running after 25 years, and feature an active coder, zone implementors, and a small staff of caring IMMs.
What's Happening Today?
- AustinPowers (Cunning), is JediMUD's active coder/implementor. He has been providing bug fixes and adding functionality in sporadic minor releases since Doc stepped down as CIMP in 2008. JediMUD currently resides with DreamHost, a cloud-based web hosting service.
- Though their attendance numbers are down precipitously from mid-90s highs, text-based MUDs are here to stay. Creativity comes in many forms, and not all must be visual to gain traction with those who love the genre. Text MUDding, especially JediMUD, offers more than simple experience or equipment: it offers signiificant context in the history of multi-user gaming, what was once the first stop in the quick progression from mainframe text gaming to mobile app game development. The community is still intact, as many of the oldest players still frequent Midgaard Temple.
- New classes, zones, quests, procs, equipment and spells are being considered for implementation as the modified CircleMUD code has been further stabilized and upgraded to use the latest SQL-based data structures. User preferences, smart prompts, dynamic data collection and other advances have improved playability and immersion.
- Newbies are welcome, and with the adoption of this wiki and the continued support of a mature player-base, learning the game is easier than ever.
Want to Contribute?
- If you would like to contribute to this wiki, please contact Vince De Quattro (Dank) at email@example.com or leave a message here, on the wiki boards.